New to backstage? Check out these pages, then some of the other links below. And Welcome!
All documents are and remain property of IATSE Local 470, and are for informational purposes only. They may not be published or distributed without the consent of Local 470.
To download the following documents, click on link, then use your browser's "File|Save as" function to copy to your computer.
- Permit Worker Information
- Basic Info Pamphlet
- Basic Information for Stagehands
- General Work Rules
- Worker Conduct Policy
- Stagespeak glossary
- Hiring Hall Referral Fee
Special Departments Information
IATSE 470 is a "Mixed" Local. This means we cover all areas of technical theatre. Many of our members are "general" stagehands, covering Carpentry, Electrics, Sound, and Props. Others choose to specialize in other areas of the trade; Wardrobe, Wigs and Hair, Rigging, and Video and Film. Check out these pages for more info.
- Prospective Member Information Letter
- Stagehand Application Info
- Wardrobe Dept.
- Rigging Dept.
- Film Dept.
- Transfer/Second Card Procedure
"Stagehand Primer" and Study Guide
Local 470 has an active training program for apprentice members. The Stagehand's Primer is provided as an aid to apprentices studying to become Journeymen Stagehands, and is available to interested non-members as well. However, PLEASE NOTE: This "Stagehand Primer" is specifically intended for the use of the Stagehands and Apprentices of IATSE Local 470. It remains the property of the author, Mick Alderson, and the contents of this website may not be copied, saved, reproduced, or duplicated in any way, either in whole or in part, without the written consent of the author.
- "Stagehand Primer"
- Study Guide for New Members
- Practical Test
- Practical Evaluation Forms
- Stagespeak glossary
- Suggested Reading List
IATSE Local 470 is a Corporate Member of USITT Midwest Section. The Section offers several educational events and seminars each year, which Local members are elligible to attend.
IATSE Local 470 makes educational documents available for download. Many are available to Local Members ONLY, while others can be accessed below. If you are a member of the Local and need documents not available here contact Mick Alderson, at email@example.com, or at Ph. 920-836-3031, for instructions.
- IA 470 Rigging Standard - a Must-Read for Ground Riggers!
- How to Read a Light Plot
- Temporary Rigging
- ETC Expression Series Lightboards Cheat Sheet
- ETC Ion Lightboard Cheat Sheet
There are excellent on-line educational resources available as
- Official OSHA Web Site - lots of safety info
- First Gig: Etiquette from "Stagehand Tees" website
- Film Industry Info, excellent resources for stagehands working in the film industry from "Film Training Manitoba".
- How to Tie a Trucker's Hitch
Mick Alderson: firstname.lastname@example.org