pursuing full member status in
I.A.T.S.E. Local 470
North-eastern and Central Wisconsin
guide contains multiple choice, fill in the blank, and true or false
questions. Only information taken from the following pages will be used
on the full card examination. Keep written answers as concise as
possible. This guide, as well as the final test, will quiz you in the
basic union, general information, hiring hall, carpentry, shop,
properties, electrics, audio, video, wardrobe, hardware identification,
and practical application. Applicants must score eighty percent or
better on each area to pass. Good luck.
--Local 470 examination committee
Copyright© 2010 edition
BASIC UNION KNOWLEDGE
1. What does I.A.T.S.E. stand for?
2. With which branch of organized labor
is IATSE affiliated?
3. When was the AFL-CIO founded?
4. What are three advantages to being a union member?
5. Give a brief outline of "Collective Bargaining".
6. List at least 3 things organized labor has won for the
7. If you were in charge of a job which required more hands,
where and how would you get these additional hands?
8. If you were having trouble with the management on a job, or
disagreed with the safety procedures you were asked to use, what would
you do to straighten out the problem?
9. If you are going to be late or decide you can't
make a call at the last minute, who should you contact and when, and in
10. What resources do you have as a worker if you disagree
with a department head or Steward on the job
A. argue with him
B. see the Business Agent
C. take a long lunch
D. request a personnel complaint form from the Executive Board
11. In what month is the official Local 470 election usually
12. How often does Local 470 have a general
13. How long are Local 470's officers elected to
A. 4 years
B. 3 years
C. 2 years
D. 1 year
E. Until impeached
14. How much is currently withheld from Local 470 members'
paychecks to pay for general expenses?
6% B. 5%
$35.00 E. None of the
15. Explain the general concept of the Steward Bill of Rights.
16. True or False: If
you cannot attend the meeting of the official 470 election, you will
not have the opportunity to vote.
17. True or False. All negotiated
contracts for wages, terms, and conditions are the same for all
employers and all venues.
18. Local 470's "mother" office is located in
19. That three reasons are grounds for immediate dismissal
from a job?
20. In what year was IATSE Local 470 founded?
21. What recourse do you have as a worker if you disagree
with a warning or late fine issued to you by a Steward?
22. Give a brief description of IATSE Local 470's geographical
1. List the basic tools of a stagehand consists of:
A. miter saw, hammer
B. Allen wrench, duct
C. crescent wrench,
multi-tool, night vision
2. The first thing you do when you arrive at a jobsite is:
report to the Steward
B. call Business
C. find catering
D. fill out W-4 form
3. When working a showcall, a Stagehand should come dressed
A. boots, work
clothes B. gloves,
C. dark clothing
D. T-shirt, slacks
4. A "Trade Show" is:
A. a television
B. pipe and drape
C. bartering wages
5. Explain why it is important to be on time for a job:
6. The entryway to an arena froor is known as a:
7. The half wall surrounding an arena floor is known as a:
8. The proper time to arrive at an 8:00 am call is:
A. 6:30 am
B. 7:50 am
C. 7:59 am
D. Whenever you feel like it
9. True / False: All trade show contracts are the
10. True / False: It is considered appropriate to test message or talk
your cell phone while working a call.
11. Using the drawing below, insert the number, between 1 and 10, for
A. Down Stage
B. Up Stage Left: ______
C. Front of House: ______
D. Down Stage Center: ______
E. Mid Stage Center: ______
True / False:
Catering is always provided to union stagehands.
13. When you have completed a task and do not know what to do next, you
A. Go home
B. Stand around and wait for a new assignment
C. Take a break
D. Inform your department head or road person
14. True / False:
Items left behind by travelling attractions are yours for the taking.
15. Your call time on a show is "hour before half". Show time is 7:30.
What time do you need to be ready for work?
16. Under the current GES Expo contract, what are the four defined job
17. What is the width of a standard trade show booth?
1. Disciplinary action within the Hiring Hall is done by whom?
A. The International
B. The Executive Board of I.A. Local 722
C. The Hiring Hall Governance Board
D. The entire membership of the Hiring Hall
Lists are generated how often?
A. Once a week
B. Once a month
C. Once a quarter
D. Once a year
3. To qualify for Dispatch list “A”, you have must have
accepted a minimum of __________ hours
in one of the past two years.
4. In order
to change the Hiring Hall Procedure and of Agreement of I.A.T.S.E.
– Local 470, it would require:
B. Two Meetings
C. Three meetings
D. Once a year
5. The Hiring
Hall Governance Board is made up of members of?
A. The Executive Board of I.A. Local 470
B. The International Office
C. The entire membership of the Hiring Hall
D. Retired Local 470 members
6. The fine for the first Late violation of the Conduct Policy
7. If found guilty of physical fighting on the job site, the disciplinary
8. If you are under the influence of drug or alcohol on the job site, and
it is your Third Offense, what actions occur?
9. True / False:
If you are required to perform Jury Duty services
after accepting a call you will be fined.
10. True / False:
On an Emergency Dispatch Call, the Business Agent is required to hire Members
of the Hiring Hall in Dispatch List order.
11. If you will be late arriving on a job site due to weather or traffic
accident, who should you contact to avoid a Late fine?
12. In the event an employer requires additional personnel after the
start of a labor call, it is the responsibility of the _____________
to fill that position.
13. If a member of the Hiring Hall is offered a job, they must respond by
A. By answering the
B. Call the Business Agent within 4 hours.
C. By calling before 6:00 PM the next
day. D. By showing up
on the job site.
14. True / False: To be
a member of the
Hiring Hall, you must have a Completed Workers Agreement on file.
A member of the Hiring Hall may be removed from dispatch for the
(circle ALL that apply).
A. Union Membership.&
B. The member is a convicted felon.
C. The member is too old.
D. Due to violations of the Conduct Policy.
E. Non-payment of Union dues or fines.
16. A Permit Worker will be paid Journeyman rates if they, (circle all that
A. Have achieved the required hours under
contract B. Is a Union member
C. Has passed the Journeyman Tests
D. Buys drinks for members.
17. True / False:
Primary Stewards who are fulfilling their
obligation to a particular Venue and are not negatively
affected in regards to accumulated hours.
18. True / False:
There is no appeal process for Disciplinary
19. Appeals of a Disciplinary Action must be received within _________
days of that action.
20. True / False: If any section
of the Hiring Hall Procedure and Agreement is found to be in violation of
Local, State, or Federal law, the whole document is considered illegal?
21. True / False: An
Employer has the right to deny employment to a member of the Hiring Hall for
1. The proper procedure for lifting is to lift with the:
& D. shoulders
2. The proper position for a Stagehand(s) to be in when
pushing something up a ramp is:
A. in front/ behind
B. the sides
C. in front/ sides
D. behind/ sides
3. Rigging ropes hanging from a Theatre grid should be:
B. kept tight
C. left alone
D. maintained with light oil
4. When working with a fork lift, the responsibilities for
safety fall on the:
A. fork operator
B. people around operator
D. operator/ workers
5. The most common injury for Stagehands is:
B. smashed fingers/ hands
C. back injuries
6 If you see a safety violation or unsafe work condition, you should:
A: Contact the Stage Manager.
B: Put on your coat and go home.
C: Inform your Job Steward.
D: Continue to work, however use
7. If you are working over the heads of people, (on trusses, grids,
loading rail’s, etc), you should?
A: Make sure you have extra tools in
case you drop one.
B: Empty your pockets and secure all
tools you may need.
C: Don't chew gum, so you can yell
“Heads”, if you drop something.
D: Wear a Union shirt.
8. When using Genie personnel basket lift, you should:
A: Use all outriggers and only on a
B: Listen to road crew instructions
on questionable issues.
C: Remove the legs when positioned
close to scenery.
D: Feel free to lean out of the basket,
if the outriggers are secured.
9. If someone is injured at work, when do you notify the Job Steward?
A: Only if the injury is serious or
B: At the end of your call.
C: Immediately, and in all cases.
D: If you think that it is important.
10. True / False Road crews are
allowed to override safety rules if they take responsibility.
11. When working on a step ladder, you should:
A: Not use the top two steps.
B: Stand on the top step if you have
C: Make sure at least three legs are
in contact with the floor.
D: Use the ladder only if you have a
safety harness attached.
12. If a stagehand feels uncomfortable with a job because of a safety concern,
who should they contact?
13. If you see a rope tied off, and it is in your way, you should:
A: Untie it only long enough to get
your job done.
B: Have someone hold the rope
out of your way.
C: Do not touch the rope. Ask for
D: See if there is someplace else the
rope can be tied to.
14. How far above the ground must you be before a safety harness is required?
15. Fire extinguishers are rated according to the materials they are
meant to extinguisher.
What materials are in each
STAGE CARPENTRY DEPARTMENT
1. What is a sunday?
2. What is a batten, and what is the standard
3. Name two places where endless lines are used.
4. In a counterweight system, which is the pull line?
5. Explain the fundamental difference between a
single and a double
purchase counterweight system.
6. What does the head flyman have to
remember about a double
purchase system when computing weights?
7. In what applications are breast lines used?
8. If a unit you are hanging is too heavy for one
arbor, what could you do?
9. Define the following terms:
--"west coast" (a
10. How would you level a batten?
11. If you are an electrician and need a certain
batten brought in to
the deck, to whom do you speak?
the difference between a parallel and a platform?
13. How would you repair a rip in the muslin on a piece of
14. Name five important knots and their use:
1. Knot: _______________ Use:
2. Knot: _______________ Use:
3. Knot: _______________ Use:
4. Knot: _______________ Use:
5. Knot: _______________ Use:
16.True or False: When loading weight on a
double arbor, load the first arbor completely before loading the second
17. If you drop a belaying pin from an elevated pin rail,
what is the first thing you should do?
tools should be carried to the grid of a theatre, and how should they
19. What is a snub?
How should a snub be used?
21. Explain the
difference between a teaser and a tormentor?
When the head fly man tells you to take a batten to pipe weight, what
does this mean?
23. Explain what
the “Dog” and “Knife” are on an
24. Define the following rigging terms:
25. What is the first thing you should do after securing the set piece
to the dog with the knife?
26. What is the Proscenium of the Stage?
27. What are the primary duties of a Stage Carpenter?
28. What is a Kabuki Drop?
29. What would
you use an axe handle or a pipe for on the fly rail?
30. Where would you place the Low-Trim spike on the rope of a fly
31. Where would you place the High-Trim spike on
the rope of a fly system?
32. Why is it important for the Head Carpenter and the Head Fly-Man to
maintain good communication?
33. After the fly-man calls out “Please add 21 bricks on line
13”, what do you do from start to finish?
Parallel tops are generally made of 1/4" plywood.
2. Describe a coffin lock.
3. Describe a
4. What is the minimum length of a fastener (nail, screw, staple, etc.)
that can be used when making a
5. True or False:
butt joint is stronger than a mortise and tenon joint.
6. A rip in muslin should be patched on the __________________ side of
7. What is the first thing to do when changing the blade in a power
8. Below is a drawing of a step unit. Please label
all parts as indicated.
Why should the rails extend the entire distance of the
bottom of the flat, instead of making the rails less
extending the stiles to the floor?
10. Circle one: Flame proofing should be added to the upstage / downstage
side of a flat.
11. When describing a step unit, what is meant by the term "run"?
12. What is a scenery jack and how is it used?
13. Describe the difference between Broadway and Hollywood style flats.
14. How many legs should be attached to a standard 4 x 8 platform?
15. Explain the difference between a dependent and an independent
16. Name two materials from which you could
rocks. Chicken wire and:
17. Name four types of joints used in set construction:
18. When describing a step unit, what is meant by the term "rise"?
19. List three tools that could be used to cut a circle in 3/4" plywood.
20. Below is a drawing of a flat. Please label al l parts and draw in
all missing items.
1. Define the following types of props; give two examples of each:
a) set props:
b) trim props:
c) set dressing:
d) hand props:
e) personal props:
2. What kinds of effects are part of the props
department? Give an example:
3. A production calls for "snow". Of what material might it be made?
4. What method can be used to make snow fall?
5. The base falls off the nutcracker doll seven minutes before it has
to make its entrance. What kind of glue
should you use to
6. True / False:
It is the job of the Props Department to sweep and mop the floor.
7. What should the props department do with sharp hand props?
8. After setting the piano for a recital, what should the prop master
to it next?
9. What should a prop master place on the speaker's lectern or on a
table next to the lectern?
10. What is a break-away?
11. What is a practical?
12. Why or why not is it permissible to allow individuals to sit on show furniture?
13. True / False:
It is the prop master’s job to set the orchestra pit before
14. What should the prop master do to a
picture with glass in it, and why?
15. True / False: The
prop master must deal with the on-stage intercom.
How do you mark the placement of furniture or set pieces?
Name the three primary colors of pigment.
What is the first thing to do after
painting a prop?
19. What are
three precautions that should be taken when using spray paints?
20. Describe the job duties of a
the following terms:
22. Marley is the generic term for what?
23. Other than handling show props, list four other duties of a Prop person.
24. Define the following terms:
1. If you were a
“House Electrician”, what is the minimum size wire
you can use to tie -in a 400 amp service?
If you were a “House Electrician”, what is the
minimum size wire you can use to tie -in a 200 amp service?
If you were a “House Electrician”, what is the
minimum size wire you can use to tie -in a 100 amp service?
If you were a “House Electrician”, what is the
minimum size wire you can use to tie -in a 50 amp service?
What is the minimum size wire you can use for a 20 amp load?
Name the colors of a 117/208 volt three-phase, five wire
7. If you were a House Electrician with a 117/208 volt three-phase, five wire “wye” service,
what voltage would
you expect to find between the:
Red and Blue wire: ________________ Volt
Black and White wire: ________________ Volt
Red and Green wire: ________________ Volt
Green and White wire: ________________ Volt
8. What is the first thing a House
Electrician should do after connecting the tails to a disconnect?
9. Using Leg A, Leg B, Leg C, Neutral, and Ground to designate the
terminations, in what order should a
House Electrician should
connect feeder cables to tails?
10. After you have tied in rigging power as house electrician, the road
electrician informs you that the motors are running backwards. Using
the colors: Red, Green, Black, Blue, and White , which terminations could
be inverted to rectify this problem?
11. How many of the following instruments can be safely controlled by a 2.4
750 watt Ellipsoidal:
500 watt Fresnel:
575 watt Source Four PAR:
1.5kw Far Cycs:
12. True or False: Placing an electrical
motor under the control of an SCR is acceptable if a phantom load is
hooked up in parallel.
13. Explain the fundamental difference(s) between altering a cue in the stage
and blind modes of a computer lighting console.
14. What capacity fuse would you use to protect a 2000 watt circuit?
15. The first electric is the farthest _________________ electric batten.
16. What device is used to connect multiple instruments together to one
circuit or cable?
17. A standard 2-pin-and-ground connector has a _______ amp rating.
18. Match wire color to the correct pins on a standard 2-pin-and-ground
(aka NEMA 5T-20).
19. Using "S" for a single pole switch, "F" for a fuse, and "L" for a lamp,
draw a simple and legal two-wire
electrical circuit. Label one of the plug's prongs "hot" and the other "neutral".
20. How do you “spot” a Fresnel?
21. What are the instruments on booms and ladders in the wings called?
22. What is the best device to use to keep an electric batten from rolling?
23. Using R for red, G for green, and B for blue, indicate on the drawing
below how a three-circuit Border light should be colored.
24. Some arc spots use a rectifier to convert _______ current to _______
25. How is an arc lamp dimmed?
26. The load capacity of #18 wire is _____________ that of #22 wire.
27. True or False:
A xenon follow spot should be shut down whenever possible to save the
28. True or False: The ground wire connects
to the neutral buss at the company switch.
29. Name the three primary colors of light.
30. Explain the difference between a dimmer and a control channel.
31. What is tracking, and how have electronic lighting consoles made
32. Lighting a scrim from the back makes it _________ and lighting it from
the front makes it _________.
33. Which theatrical material has the lowest reflectance value?
34. What is the difference between a boom and a rail ?
35. Describe a Color Scroller:
36. Besides a power cable, what other connection is required to operate
scrollers or moving lights?
37. Why should electrics systems and sound systems use separate power supplies?
38. What is a fan-out or breakout?
39. What is a meat rack?
40. What are the functions of the three controls on top of a professional follow
41. Explain color temperature:
42. The _________________ of light is the most important concern when
designing television lighting.
43. A Sub-Master on a lighting console is used to:
44. What are pipe ends?
45. In a 6 x 9 ellipsoidal, the first number refers to:
The second number refers to:
46. Circle one: From the same distance, a (6 X 9)/ (6 x 12)
would produce a larger pool of light.
47. Circle one: From the same distance, a (26
degree)/(36 degree) would produce a larger pool of light.
48. During focus the LD tells you to "spin the bottle". You should:
49. During focus the LD tells you to "flag the instrument". You should:
50. What does LED stand for?
51. Using the terms listed below, define each of the following drawings.
Moving Head, PAR can,
Moving Mirror, Leko
52. After hanging a moving head unit, what four steps do you perform?
53. What is the current industry standard
protocol used to control modern lighting equipment?
54. If you were asked to run a data cable to the output of a lighting
console, scroller power supply, or DMX repeater/splitter, you would run
the ____________ end of the data cable.
55. You open a road box and find the feeder cables have male
“Hot” connectors on top. You would run this end of
the cable to the ________________________.
56. You have a female “Hot” Cam-Lock connector in your
hand. This would plug into the ___________.
57. Describe the differences between Circuit No., Dimmer No., and Channel
58. A moving light ”attribute” is?
59. The primary usage of the connector, shown below, in theatrical lighting
60. The primary usage of the connector, shown below, in theatrical lighting is:
61. The production needs smoke or steam on stage. How might you accomplish this?
62. List three precautions when using dry ice:
63. The male end of a data cable is attached to the _________________ of a device.
1. True/False: You should cut the grounding pin off a power cord to get rid
of an annoying buzz.
2. Number the proper steps to turn on/turn off of a sound system.
TURN ON: ____ AMPS ____ EQ ___ TAPE/CD ____ MIXER
TURN OFF: ____ AMPS ____ EQ ___ TAPE/CD ____ MIXER
3. What are the two types of mic elements used most often?
4. True / False: You
should test a mic by blowing into it.
5. Which side of a PCC mic should be pointed at the talent?
6. With a wireless microphone, what type of receiver performs best?
7. What is the function of a Direct Box, (DI)?
8. What happens to two identical signals that are 180 out of phase?
9. Why is the polarity of speaker connections important?
10. What are the three most important guidelines for feedback control?
11. Number the signal path from input to output.
AMP _______ MIXER _______ SPEAKER _______ EQ _______ MIC
12. What is a graphic equalizer?
13. What does a power amplifier do?
14. What is clipping?
15. (True / False): You can connect
in parallel as many speakers as you want to a power amplifier.
16. What are a common uses of a 70 volt sound system?
17. What does a crossover do?
18. What are the two types of crossovers?
19. What is an audio snake?
20. What is added
to the signal path to make under -balcony speakers work properly?
21. What does MIDI stand for?
22. What can MIDI control besides keyboards?
23. Explain the difference of the Pre/Post button on a mixing console.
24. What do you do when finished talking on a headset, or before you take it off?
25. What is phantom power, and what is its typical voltage?
26. What type of microphone requires phantom power?
27. True / False: You can run a
Genie lift over a snake as long as the outer insulation is not damaged.
28. You are standing onstage with a microphone cable in your hand.
Which end do you run to the
29. Using the illustration below, complete the drum set list, using the
names specified, in typical wiring order.
30.Define each connector and its use
NOTE: connecters are not to scale.
WHAT DOES EACH LABELED KNOB, BUTTON OR FADER DO?
WHAT DOES EACH KNOB, BUTTON OR FADER DO?
WHAT DOES EACH INPUT JACK DO?
1. A positive locking connector for video cable is called:
2. A "grip" on a video shoot is usually the person who?
3. What is the miniature microphone used to "mike" the "talent" called?
4. Using a typical three instrument set-up to light the video set, you’re
back-light, fill-light and key-light are 1000 watts each. What circuit or
combination of circuits must you have to avoid tripping 20 amp breakers?
5. What is the maximum wattage a 20 amp circuit will handle?
6. Drawn below is a basic video lighting scheme. Match the appropriate names for the
using three of the following possible choices?
7. What is the most important thing to remember during a "take"?
8. The director has asked that the key-light
be softened. What do you use to bring the intensity down?
9. Before each scene is shot the cameraman asks that a white card be
placed in front of the lens.
He flips some switches and white balances the camera. Why is this done?
10. In the video projection formula, T = F * W, define what each letter
11. Video standards, in the United
States, have two aspect ratios.
analog standard is?
The digital standard is?
12. What is Chroma-Key?
13. True / False: You
can hang a rear projection screen upside down without affecting the
14. If requested to “Pan” a camera you would?
15.“I-Mag” is short for:
16. Two of the most common video connectors illustrated below. What are
their names, and common usage? NOTE: these connectors are NOT
drawn to scale.
17. Define a “Video Wall”.
18. If requested by the Video Director to “Push-In”, when
you are operating a video camera, you would:
19. Why are FOH Video cameras on elevated platforms?
Why would you attach a 60:1 zoom lens on a video camera?
1. What is the proper attire for a wardrobe person?
What are the duties of a wardrobe person?
3. Give four examples of possible assignments on a load-in.
4. Give four examples of possible assignments on a
5. Give four examples of possible assignments on a load-out.
6. How can you remove wrinkles from velvet?
7. What are the basic tools that all wardrobe people should carry on all
8. You are assigned to iron dress shirts. What should you ask the supervisor
before you begin?
9. Why is ironing a shirt by: Collar, cuff and sleeve, other cuff and
sleeve, yoke, front panel,
back panel, other front panel the
10. How would you iron unidentified fabric?
11. How would you zip a tight body suit?
12. How would you free a stuck zipper?
13. What is a Wardrobe preset?
14. What is a “dead
15. What is a “dresser
16. Define “under
dress” and why is it used?
17. List at least two safety precautions when using a steamer.
18. What is a drop cloth?
19. What are “pit pads” and why are they used?
20. If you need tables and chairs for quick change areas, from which
department do you get them?
21. As a general rule, how many irons or steamers can you plug into one outlet
at a time?
22. What is a gondola?
23. What does it mean if you are told to hang costumes “chest
24. How do you hang pants with a crease in the leg?
25. How do you hang pants with no creases in the leg?
26. Define the term “Puddling”
Identify the hardware on the following two pages: